Social Emotional Learning is at the forefront of educational practices to support ever growing student needs. Books are a wonderful way to introduce character education and teach young children about their feelings, mindset, and how to self-regulate. These are the 17 best SEL books for elementary students and are separated by topic.
1. Anh’s Anger by Gail Silver and Christiane Kromer
2. Feelings by Aliki
3. Glad Monster, Sad Monster: A Book About Feelings by Anne Miranda & Ed Emberley
4. I’m Mad (Dealing with Feelings) by Elizabeth Crary
5. I’m Frustrated (Dealing with Feelings) by Elizabeth Crary
6. In My Heart: A Book of Feelings by Jo Witek
7. Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud
8. One by Kathryn Otoshi
9. The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
10. The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg by Bill Peet
11. Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
12. Ish by Peter H. Reynolds
13. Not a Box by Antoinette Portis
14. The Dot by Peter Reynolds
15. The Lemonade Hurricane by Licia Morelli and Jennifer E. Morris
16. The Listening Walk by Paul Showers and Aliki
17. The Three Questions by John Muth
Teaching children about their emotions can positively impact them for the rest of their lives. By reading books about regulating their feelings, empathy, and mindset can help them develop strong character traits. To find out more about social-emotional learning, check out our SEL blogs.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.